Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is really a base, and you can take it and make any number of variations- add chopped sauteed vegetables or different seasonings to change the flavor. They're also great just as they are, on buns with traditional burger toppings. I fried them in some olive oil, but they could probably also be broiled or grilled over foil. Finally, they're not completely vegan because I couldn't make them form patties without the egg.
- The day before cooking, place dried beans in a bowl and add enough water to cover by 2-3 inches. Soak beans for 8-10 hours.
- When ready to prepare burgers, drain and rinse beans.
- Place beans and carrots in a saucepan, and cover with water seasoned with lemon juice. Simmer until beans and carrots are tender, drain, and allow to cool until you can touch it bare-handed.
- Place mixture in a bowl, and add egg, onions, and spices. Mash with a fork (or process in a food processor) until it forms a chunky paste. Then add bread crumbs, and mix thoroughly.
- Form into patties and cook by your desired method, until burgers are firm to the touch.
- Serve with whatever type of buns and toppings you like.