I haven't tried this, but it looks so good! Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine! These sausages were a hit among Vegetarian Times vegan staffers, who loved the idea of homemade veggie links. They are a snap to make in a 2-layer bamboo steamer, but you may use a metal steamer in a large saucepan, you may just have to do several batches.
- 118.29 ml cooked adzuki beans, rinsed and drained (canned is okay)
- 295.73 ml vital wheat gluten
- 236.59 ml vegetable broth
- 59.14 ml nutritional yeast
- 14.79 ml soy sauce (low sodium)
- 29.58 ml maple syrup
- 14.79 ml light olive oil (or veg. oil, canola, etc.)
- 14.79 ml rubbed sage (not powdered)
- 9.85 ml ground fennel
- 4.92 ml liquid smoke
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- Prepare bamboo steamer(or use steamer in a large saucepan), and lay out 25 sheets of foil, each about 5 inches square.
- Mash beans with fork in a bowl until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Roll walnut sized pieces of bean mixture into small links(they don't have to be perfect). Wrap each link in foil, and twist both ends so it looks like a tootsie roll.
- Place wrapped links in steamer, cover, and steam 30 minutes. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Warm gently in the oven or toaster oven 8-10 minutes if not serving immediately.
Terrific little sausages. Very easy to make the 'dough' (if that's the right term). After a couple attempts at the tootsie roll thing I got the hang of it and they went together pretty fast. I made them the night before and cooked them in the morning. I did half in the steamer basket and half in the oven. (The three oven baked ones are in the back of the photo.) The oven ones were a little browner but more chewier. So I think I liked the steamed ones slightly better. I checked the nutrition information, and if anyone is interested, vital wheat gluten adds about 25 calories a link. Thanks for posting!
I will be trying these soon!