1/1 Photo of Homemade Vegetarian Smoky Breakfast Sausage Links
I haven't tried this, but it looks so good! Adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine! These sausages were a hit among Vegetarian Times vegan staffers, who loved the idea of homemade veggie links. They are a snap to make in a 2-layer bamboo steamer, but you may use a metal steamer in a large saucepan, you may just have to do several batches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup cooked adzuki beans, rinsed and drained (canned is okay)
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (low sodium)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil (or veg. oil, canola, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage (not powdered)
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Prepare bamboo steamer(or use steamer in a large saucepan), and lay out 25 sheets of foil, each about 5 inches square.
- 2Mash beans with fork in a bowl until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- 3Roll walnut sized pieces of bean mixture into small links(they don't have to be perfect). Wrap each link in foil, and twist both ends so it looks like a tootsie roll.
- 4Place wrapped links in steamer, cover, and steam 30 minutes. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to use.
- 5Warm gently in the oven or toaster oven 8-10 minutes if not serving immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Vegetarian Smoky Breakfast Sausage Links
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 30.2
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 43.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten