Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This broth can be frozen in cubes or blocks then frozen.You may add chicken or beef cubes or Sysco condensed base,add cornstarch & water for bisque or chowder bases or anything else when thawed.
- 4 quarts water
- 4 cups minced celery
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 8 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 green peppers, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1 lb sliced fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 2 teaspoons dried cilantro
- 3 teaspoons salt or 3 teaspoons salt substitute
- Cover and cook on low heat for about 1 hour.
- Take off heat and cool.
- Put a large pot under a colander and drain vegetables.
- Put vegetables in a blender and bend and pour back into broth.
- Pour into ice trays or cubes. Freeze.
- Note: This broth can be used for instant mashed potatoes, cooking rice, barley, orzo, couscous.
- For Italian Dishes, add crushed tomatoes and more Italian seasoning and tomato paste.
- For chowders, add potatoes, sausage, fish or meat of your choice.
- For Soups, add broccoli, spinach, cheese or other vegetable chunks and simmer.
wonderful! thank you for sharing.
Montana this is fantabulous. The pot is simmering as I type and as it is a fall weather day here I may add in some chicken chunks to the broth I do not freeze for dinner tonight. I did use fresh herbs as I grow them in the garden. I doubled fresh amounts for dry. Kept pepper the same and did not add salt (used substitute) or mushrooms (dietary restrictions). I will save this in my keepers. I like that the veggies are not tossed out and they are incorporated back into the broth. I also plan to use your suggestion for chowder as football season is on us. Thank you for such an easy and versatile recipe. I cannot wait to make rice with a frozen cube. Made for Preserving Summer Memories.