Recipe by Sharon123
These are easy to make and taste way better than anything you can get at the store (Yves). The texture is freakishly sausage-like, and you can grill them on the BBQ after the steaming. There is nothing these sausages can't do. Go crazy with the spicing: fennel, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley. Feel free to throw in whatever you want.
- 1⁄2 cup pinto beans, rinsed and drained (or other beans)
- 1 cup cold vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, grated (with a microplane, or very finely minced)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 dashes fresh black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Before mixing your ingredients, get your steaming apparatus ready, bring water to a full boil. The rest of the recipe comes together very quickly.
- Have ready 4- 6 sheets of tin foil.
- In a large bowl, mash the pinto beans until no whole ones are left. Throw all the other ingredients together in the order listed and mix with a fork.
- Divide dough into 4-6 even parts. Place one part of dough into tin foil and mold into about a 5 inch log. Wrap dough in tin foil, like a tootsie roll. Don’t worry too much about shaping it, it will snap into shape while it’s steaming because this recipe is awesome.
- Place wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 40 minutes.