1 hr 5 mins
These are easy to make and taste way better than anything you can get at the store (Yves). The texture is freakishly sausage-like, and you can grill them on the BBQ after the steaming. There is nothing these sausages can't do. Go crazy with the spicing: fennel, rosemary, sage, thyme, basil, oregano, parsley. Feel free to throw in whatever you want.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup pinto beans, rinsed and drained (or other beans)
- 1 cup cold vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, grated (with a microplane, or very finely minced)
- 1 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 dashes fresh black pepper
- 1Before mixing your ingredients, get your steaming apparatus ready, bring water to a full boil. The rest of the recipe comes together very quickly.
- 2Have ready 4- 6 sheets of tin foil.
- 3In a large bowl, mash the pinto beans until no whole ones are left. Throw all the other ingredients together in the order listed and mix with a fork.
- 4Divide dough into 4-6 even parts. Place one part of dough into tin foil and mold into about a 5 inch log. Wrap dough in tin foil, like a tootsie roll. Don’t worry too much about shaping it, it will snap into shape while it’s steaming because this recipe is awesome.
- 5Place wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Vegan Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.5
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 510.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 8.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten