Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have an irrational fear of preservatives but an appetite for junk food. This recipe allows me to make bourbon balls, banana pudding, and all the rest with my own organic pantry items. I use whole wheat flour, but all-purpose will do just as well.
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3 tablespoons egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely ground whole wheat flour (cake flour)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F Spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cream together sugar, powdered sugar, shortening, egg whites, vanilla, lemon juice (optional) & salt.
- Add flour & baking powder.
- Add 1 T water. Mix until dough forms a large ball.
- Roll dough into 1/2-3/4” balls & press onto cookie sheet.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until cookies are golden.
we thought this was very good and the batch went quickly. Not really vanilla wafer like but good.
May I be the first to commend you on a great vanilla wafer recipe! Simple, tasty and wonderful. Much better than store bought, not overly sweet, and so easy, the kids were able to help with pretty much everything. Thank you!