Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream. Very rich and creamy, and stays creamy even after a few days in the freezer, instead of becoming "rock hard" like so many others. *Note: The preparation and "cook"/freezing time are only estimates and do not include cooling time. This is an easy recipe that truly doesn't take long.
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups 2% low-fat milk, divided
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla
- Beat eggs. Add sugar, flour and 2 cups of milk and stir together.
- Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly. After thickened, remove from heat and cool completely. (You can cook the custard portion the night before and cool in refrigerator until ready to use.)
- After completely cooled, mix together the vanilla pudding mix and remaining 1.5 cups of milk.
- When thickened, combine with cooled custard mixture (above) and add remaining 3 ingredients.
- Stir all together and freeze in your ice cream freezer according to freezer instructions.