Prep 5 mins
Cook 1008 hrs
I like this recipe because it uses rum or brandy instead of vodka giving it a different taste, this is how my aunt and grandmother have made it for years
- Put vanilla bean in a clean jar and cover with rum or brandy.
- Cap the jar and store in a cool and dark place for at least 6 weeks to let the flavor develop.
- Once a week lightly shake jar.
- Strain the vanilla extract through a cheesecloth lined strainer and into a sealed jar.
- Give as a gift with a recipe that uses vanilla or a handbaked gift.
- If giving at Christmas time I double or triple my recipe.
Excellent! I love vanilla and I really enjoy the flavor that the rhum gives it. I like the brandy too, but ummm, I love the rhum!
I make a lot of vanilla essence as I bake a lot. I normally have 6 beans (from Bali) to 1 litre of vodka, rum or brandy and let it sit for 6 months. I prefer to use rum or brandy as it smells nicer. This recipe is worth keeping in your cookbook.