Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 25 mins
This is another great recipe for all that extra turkey on the bone. It is also low fat!
- 1 turkey carcass, from cooked 10- to 13-lb turkey
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 3 cups cut-up cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Break up turkey carcass to fit 6-quart Dutch oven. Add water, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Skim off any residue that rises to the surface. Remove bones, meat and bay leaf from broth; cool. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bones and bay leaf.
- Skim fat-from broth; discard. Add turkey meat cut from bones to broth; stir in barley. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrots, onion, celery and 3 cups cooked turkey. Simmer uncovered 20 to 25 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and barley are tender. Stir in parsley.
WOW WOW WOW this is a great recipe. I also added fine noodles and a bit of barley.