Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 25 mins
This is another great recipe for all that extra turkey on the bone. It is also low fat!
Make and share this Homemade Turkey Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 turkey carcass, from cooked 10- to 13-lb turkey
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 3 cups cut-up cooked turkey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Break up turkey carcass to fit 6-quart Dutch oven. Add water, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Skim off any residue that rises to the surface. Remove bones, meat and bay leaf from broth; cool. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; set aside. Discard bones and bay leaf.
- Skim fat-from broth; discard. Add turkey meat cut from bones to broth; stir in barley. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in carrots, onion, celery and 3 cups cooked turkey. Simmer uncovered 20 to 25 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables and barley are tender. Stir in parsley.
WOW WOW WOW this is a great recipe. I also added fine noodles and a bit of barley.