Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add shortening.
- Use vegetable shortening or lard.
- Or use a combination of half lard half shortening.
- Use a fork or a pastry cutter to cut in the shortening or just do it the old fashioned way and use your hands.
- Next add warm water a little at a time until your dough is soft and not sticky.
- You do not need very hot water.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Now you will pull off pieces of dough to form about 12 small dough balls.
- Let them rest for at least 10 minutes, longer if you like.
- This is a good time to heat up the griddle.
- You will want to set it at medium to high heat.
- If it is too hot the tortillas will cook too fast.
- Now you can roll out the dough with your rolling pin.
- It is a good idea to.
- dust each ball with a little flour just before you roll them out.
- Lay the rolling pin in the center of the dough ball and roll up, center and roll down.
- It is good to lift the dough and turn it.
- Again, rolling pin in the center and roll.
- Roll them out fairly thin.
- Lay your tortilla on the hot griddle.
- It takes just a few seconds to cook.
- Flip to the other side.
- When they are done it should have lots of nice brown speckles.
- Place them in a towel.
- If you would like you can use a tortilla warmer to keep them warm longer.
- They are ready to be served!