Recipe by Luvs 2 Cook
Courtesy Michael Chiarello Show: Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello Episode: TV Dinner Redux
Top Review by Zanni
This was great! I made a few additions, like I used 2 cups of chicken broth instead of one, and I added about 1 cup of tomato sauce. I used half and half instead of the cream. I chopped the vegetables in my food processor and then whizzed it again in there before I added the half and half. I'll be making this again. One thing I did wrong was that I only used about 1/8 cup of olive oil on the tomatoes, some of them came out burnt instead of caramelized. Next time I'll use the 1/4 cup oil to prevent that.
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Strain the chopped canned tomatoes, reserving the juices, and spread onto a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, to taste, drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil and roast until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the celery, carrot, onion and garlic, cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the roasted chopped canned tomatoes, reserved tomato juices, chicken broth, bay leaf and butter.
- Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add basil and cream, if using.
- Puree with a hand held immersion blender until smooth.