- 5 quarts diced tomatoes (aka 1 peck or 1/2 bushel) or 1 package tomatoes (aka 1 peck or 1/2 bushel)
- 6 small onions
- 1 green pepper
- 1 bunch celery
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Quarter the tomatoes.
- Dice the onions, green pepper and celery.
- Place in a large canning kettle and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Run the mixture through a sieve and reheat the juice to a boil.
- Mix the sugar, flour and salt together with the melted butter, mix well.
- Add slowly to the boiling tomato mixture until thickened.
- Pour into jars and seal with hot bath for 15 minutes.