Recipe by aHardDaysNight
I used Mario Batali's recipe for basic tomato sauce and added the flavors I love. That means crumbled italian sausage and red wine (my favorite italian flavors). I love the taste of this sauce because it uses thyme as the main flavor. It seems that others like it too, as I am always having to give the recipe out. I especially like to use it in my lasagna. Hope you enjoy!
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup red wine (I use Cabernet Sauvignon)
- salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute 1 lb. sweet italian sausage until light pink, almost done.
- Add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook on medium until soft and golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is soft.
- Add the red wine and cook for one minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until consistensy is thick.
- Season with salt if desired (I usually don't need to) and serve.
- You can substitute 1 tablespoon dried thyme for the fresh thyme.
- Try adding 2 cups of grated fresh zucchini at the same time as the tomatoes for a fresh summer sauce.
- Try adding one pound of fresh sliced mushrooms at the same time as the carrots.