1/2 Photos of Homemade Tomato Sauce With Italian Sausage and Red Wine
1 hr 5 mins
I used Mario Batali's recipe for basic tomato sauce and added the flavors I love. That means crumbled italian sausage and red wine (my favorite italian flavors). I love the taste of this sauce because it uses thyme as the main flavor. It seems that others like it too, as I am always having to give the recipe out. I especially like to use it in my lasagna. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup red wine (I use Cabernet Sauvignon)
- salt (optional)
- 1Saute 1 lb. sweet italian sausage until light pink, almost done.
- 2Add olive oil, onion and garlic and cook on medium until soft and golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- 3Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is soft.
- 4Add the red wine and cook for one minute.
- 5Add the canned tomatoes and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- 6Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until consistensy is thick.
- 7Season with salt if desired (I usually don't need to) and serve.
- 8You can substitute 1 tablespoon dried thyme for the fresh thyme.
- 9Try adding 2 cups of grated fresh zucchini at the same time as the tomatoes for a fresh summer sauce.
- 10Try adding one pound of fresh sliced mushrooms at the same time as the carrots.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Tomato Sauce With Italian Sausage and Red Wine
Serving Size: 1 (622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 456.0
- Calories from Fat 215
- Total Fat 23.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 34.0 mg
- Sodium 1202.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 23.8 g