1/2 Photos of Homemade Tomato Paste
4 hrs 20 mins
This makes a great gift and is so useful in your cupboard! Adapted from Razzle Dazzle Recipes and changed a bit! This may be canned or poured into ice cube trays and frozen, to use when needed!
My Private Note
1/2 pin ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 quarts roma tomatoes, about 4 dozen (or other meaty tomatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet red peppers, chopped (about 3)
- 1 cup chopped onion (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano (optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon honey (optional-if you want it a little sweeter)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1Wash and trim tomatoes. Blanch and remove skin if desired, or press through sieve when done cooking.
- 2Combine tomatoes, red peppers,onions, bay leaves, basil,oregano, honey, if using, and salt in a large stockpot and cook slowly for about 1 hour.
- 3Press through a fine sieve. Add garlic, and continue cooking slowly until thick enough to keep its shape on a spoon, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir frequently to keep from sticking.(this could be done in a crockpot-just stir and keep an eye on it).
- 4Pour through sieve(if you left the skins on), then pour into hot 1/2 pint canning jars, leaving 1/2" headspace.
- 5Process 1/2 pints 45 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- 6Makes about 9 1/2 pint jars.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Tomato Paste
Serving Size: 1 (6240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 132.0
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 808.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 19.9 g
- Protein 6.0 g