2 hrs 30 mins
I found this recipe in an old 1970 vegetarian cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 lbs tomatoes
- 1 medium size yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cider vinegar, plus 2 to 3 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 5 sticks cinnamon, broken
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1Cut the tomato's in quarters and puree them in a blender or food processor together with the chopped onion and bell pepper.
- 2Strain the puree through a coarse sieve to eliminate the tomato skins.
- 3Pour into a large non stick pot.
- 4Cook the mixture on low stirring often until it has thickened considerable possibly as long as an 1 hour.
- 5Wrap the allspice, cloves, cinnamon and celery seed in a cheesecloth and put them in a small pot with the vinegar.
- 6Heat the vinegar and bag of spices together for about 30 min
- 7Then remove the bag of spices.
- 8Add about 1/2 the spiced vinegar to the tomato mixture
- 9Stir it in and taste.
- 10For a spicier flavor add a little more of the spiced vinegar.
- 11If it is already sufficiently spiced for you.
- 12Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of plain cider vinegar. This seasoning must be done to your taste.
- 13Then add the mustard, cayenne, sugar , honey and salt.
- 14Cook the mixture again, stirring often until it has reached the consistency that you prefer for catsup.
- 15The time will very depending on the consistency you want but it can take another hour or so.
- 16Taste and correct the seasoning if necessary.
- 17Pour into hot sterile jars and seal leaving 1/2 inch of headroom.
- 18Makes 3 to 4 pints depending on consistency.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Tomato Catsup
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 28.4
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 51.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: