1/2 Photos of Homemade Tomato-Basil Soup with Cheese Toasts
Babs in Toyland's Note:
I really love the Tomato Basil soup from La Madeleine but it has a lot of butter and cream in it and this sounded like a healthier alternative. I got the recipe from the grocery store where I shop.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can peeled diced tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1For the Soup: In medium pot over medium heat, stir oil, onions and garlic until soft- about 3 minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes, broth and basil and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat and cook gently for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Serve with cheese toasts (see below).
- 5For cheese toasts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Place bread in a single layer on baking sheet, lightly brush top with oil, sprinkle each with a tablespoon of cheese.
- 7Bake ten minutes until golden.
- 8Serve 2 cheese toasts with each bowl of soup.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Tomato-Basil Soup with Cheese Toasts
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1154.2
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2589.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 207.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 17.7 g
- Protein 46.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Italian cheese blend