I really love the Tomato Basil soup from La Madeleine but it has a lot of butter and cream in it and this sounded like a healthier alternative. I got the recipe from the grocery store where I shop.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled diced tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 baguette, cut into 12 thick slices
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (available in most supermarkets)
- For the Soup: In medium pot over medium heat, stir oil, onions and garlic until soft- about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth and basil and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook gently for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cheese toasts (see below).
- For cheese toasts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place bread in a single layer on baking sheet, lightly brush top with oil, sprinkle each with a tablespoon of cheese.
- Bake ten minutes until golden.
- Serve 2 cheese toasts with each bowl of soup.