Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is featured in the book "Diet For A Small Planet".
Make and share this Homemade Tofu Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- Cut tofu into thin slices and arrange between two layers of dishtowel.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then put firm pieces in the middle of a dry dishtowel, gather the corners, twist to form a sack, and squeeze tofu firmly to drain off as much moisture as possible.
- In a shallow bowl, combine tofu with carrot, leeks, and sesame seeds.
- Knead, as if kneading bread, for about 3 minutes.
- When dough is smooth and holds together well, moisten palms with oil and shape dough into patties, 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Pour oil into a wok (to a depth of 1 1/2 inches) or skillet (to a depth of 1/4 to 12 inch).
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry burgers until crisp and nicely browned, about 4minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other.
- Drain and serve hot.
I followed the directions exactly and found these bland and mushy. I ended up adding quinoa flour, wheat germ, hot sauce and other spices to give it a bit of bulk and flavor. Even then, it was so-so and having to fry the burgers (and you do) was off-putting. I appreciate the post but think better cooks than I could probably do a better revision.