Recipe by mielhollinger
This recipe is featured in the book "Diet For A Small Planet".
Top Review by daniellericks
I've made three tofu burgers many times for the last 20 years. What was left out was the soy sauce that you add to the burgers once they are done. I can't find my original Diet From A Small Planet book, but I've sent away for the 20th Anniversary copy and I'll update this recipe once I receive rhe book.
- 30 ounces tofu
- 1⁄3 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup minced leek, , scallions,or onions
- 2 tablespoons ground roasted sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons ground roasted peanuts
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tofu into thin slices and arrange between two layers of dishtowel.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then put firm pieces in the middle of a dry dishtowel, gather the corners, twist to form a sack, and squeeze tofu firmly to drain off as much moisture as possible.
- In a shallow bowl, combine tofu with carrot, leeks, and sesame seeds.
- Knead, as if kneading bread, for about 3 minutes.
- When dough is smooth and holds together well, moisten palms with oil and shape dough into patties, 3 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Pour oil into a wok (to a depth of 1 1/2 inches) or skillet (to a depth of 1/4 to 12 inch).
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry burgers until crisp and nicely browned, about 4minutes on one side, 3 minutes on the other.
- Drain and serve hot.