mikey & ev's Note:
Don't be scared of how long this recipe looks! It's super simple and the results are amazing! Use your favorite toppings - we like shredded chicken, roasted red peppers, fresh spinach, and mozzarella. Adapted from http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/main-dish/recipe-homemade-thin-crust-pizza-045499
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper olive oil (or red pepper flakes)
- 4 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce (we used Classico Roasted Garlic)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Pre-heat your oven to 500 degrees. If you have a baking stone, put it on a rack in the lower-middle part of the oven.
- 2In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, heat the water until it feels barely lukewarm when you test it with your finger (if the water is so hot that you can't leave your finger in it, wait for it to cool down). Add the yeast to the water and use a fork or whisk to stir it into the water. Set this aside for a few minutes and allow the yeast to dissolve.
- 3Measure out the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and use your hand or a whisk to combine.
- 4Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the water-yeast mixture. Use your fingers or a wooden spoon to combine everything together.
- 5When it comes together into a cohesive ball, turn it out onto the counter along with any extra flour in the bowl that hasn't yet gotten worked inches.
- 6Knead the dough until all the flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth and elastic to the touch--about five minutes.The dough should still feel moist and slightly tacky. If it's sticking to your hands and counter-top like bubble gum, work in more flour one tablespoon at a time until it's smooth and silky.
- 7Use a bench scraper to divide the dough in two. Shape each half into a smooth ball. Set aside while preparing sauce.
- 8Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and red pepper olive oil (or a little extra olive oil, plus red pepper flakes).
- 9Saute 2 minutes, or until garlic is golden. Add half of the white sugar, and allow to melt (it might start to look clumpy, don't worry and keep going).
- 10Add drained tomatoes and the rest of the white sugar. Cook for 2 minutes.
- 11Add the rest of the ingredients (prepared sauce, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, basil, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper). Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. You can break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, or use an immersion blender if you prefer.
- 12Work one piece of the dough in your hands and form it into a large disk. Working from the middle of the dough outwards, use the heel of your hand to gently press the dough outward until it's about 1/4 of an inch thick or less. You can also use a rolling pin for this part.
- 13Repeat with the second piece of dough (or freeze it for later).
- 14Place pizza dough on baking stone or baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 15Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce into the center of each pizza and use the back of a spoon to spread it out to the edges. Pile on all of your toppings except the cheese.
- 16Bake for about 5 minutes and then rotate the pizza 180-degrees (most ovens have 'hot spots' your pizza will bake unevenly if it's not rotated). Bake for another 3 minutes and then sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake for another 2-3 minutes until the edges are golden brown and crispy.
- 17Remove your pizza from oven and let it cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Thin Crust Pizza (Crispy Dough and Sweet Balsamic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.1
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 831.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 8.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red pepper olive oil