Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was inspired by the Mediterranean chain restaurant, Taziki's, "Friday Special" pasta. The recipe is a balsamic pasta salad topped with teriyaki chicken and Gorgonzola (or feta) cheese (substitutions to these are easy- I made this from left over ingredients I collected over the week, and trust me... it turned out much better than I expected so I had to post). - I choose teriyaki chicken because I often feel that the Taziki's version is too basamic-y for my liking, the teriyaki sauce we used was sweeter and tasted great. I also used Gorgonzola cheese because.. well, honestly.. that's what I had, but next time I will use Feta to be certain of which tastes better. I also just love Gorgonzola
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes (of choice)
- ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 red onion (~1/2-1 cup chopped)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped basil
- fresh spinach
- 2 chicken breasts
- teriyaki marinade
- gorgonzola (or feta)
- Marinade chicken with teriyaki sauce; set aside for 10-20 minutes.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in pot.
- chop garlic.
- Heat the oil, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small skillet on low heat.
- Cook very slowly until the garlic turns golden, about 3 minutes
- careful not to brown or your sauce will be bitter; remove from heat when done.
- When the water boils, add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta.
- Cook until al dente (9 minutes); drain, letting some of the cooking water cling to the noodles.
- Return the dripping noodles to the pot and toss with the oil mixture, 1/2 cup chopped onion, Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, chopped tomato, and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; divide among 2 plates with a bed of spinach on each.
- Grill or pan cook teriyaki marinaded chicken until the inside is no longer pink; (if you pan cook: add 2 Tablespoons oil to pan + another 1/2 cup of onions, for flavor).
- Cut chicken into strips; top pasta with 1 chicken breast on each plate.
- sprinkle with Gorgonzola (or Feta) cheese.