This recipe was inspired by the Mediterranean chain restaurant, Taziki's, "Friday Special" pasta. The recipe is a balsamic pasta salad topped with teriyaki chicken and Gorgonzola (or feta) cheese (substitutions to these are easy- I made this from left over ingredients I collected over the week, and trust me... it turned out much better than I expected so I had to post). - I choose teriyaki chicken because I often feel that the Taziki's version is too basamic-y for my liking, the teriyaki sauce we used was sweeter and tasted great. I also used Gorgonzola cheese because.. well, honestly.. that's what I had, but next time I will use Feta to be certain of which tastes better. I also just love Gorgonzola
My Private Note
large p ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato (of choice)
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 red onion (~1/2-1 cup chopped)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped basil
- fresh spinach
- 2 chicken breasts
- teriyaki marinade
- gorgonzola (or feta)
- 1Marinade chicken with teriyaki sauce; set aside for 10-20 minutes.
- 2Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in pot.
- 3chop garlic.
- 4Heat the oil, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small skillet on low heat.
- 5Cook very slowly until the garlic turns golden, about 3 minutes
- 6careful not to brown or your sauce will be bitter; remove from heat when done.
- 7When the water boils, add 1 tablespoon salt and the pasta.
- 8Cook until al dente (9 minutes); drain, letting some of the cooking water cling to the noodles.
- 9Return the dripping noodles to the pot and toss with the oil mixture, 1/2 cup chopped onion, Parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar, chopped tomato, and basil.
- 10Season with salt and pepper to taste; divide among 2 plates with a bed of spinach on each.
- 11Grill or pan cook teriyaki marinaded chicken until the inside is no longer pink; (if you pan cook: add 2 Tablespoons oil to pan + another 1/2 cup of onions, for flavor).
- 12Cut chicken into strips; top pasta with 1 chicken breast on each plate.
- 13sprinkle with Gorgonzola (or Feta) cheese.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Taziki's "Firday Special" Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1227.6
- Calories from Fat 595
- Total Fat 66.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 136.8 mg
- Sodium 867.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 58.9 g