Recipe by Heather Christo
A delicious way to use leftover mashed potatoes.
Top Review by Rebekah of SFD
These were tasty and a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes as suggested. However, they do not have the same texture as regular tater tots. Next time I think I'll try brushing with olive oil & baking, rather than frying, as I don't really enjoy frying or the mess it makes.
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes, chilled
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- kosher salt
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 cups vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl mix together the cold mashed potatoes and the beaten eggs.
- Mix the flour inches Season with a little salt.
- Place the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop the potato mixture by the spoonful into the bowl of panko crumbs.
- Gently press the panko into the soft potato “tots.”.
- Place them on a sheet pan covered with a sheet of wax paper.
- Heat a small pot of oil to between 350-375 degrees F.
- Gently drop the tater tots into the hot oil and fry for about 1-2 minutes until they are hot and golden.
- Pull the tater tots from the hot oil with a strainer and gently place them on a paper towel to drain.
- Sprinkle lightly with Kosher salt.
- Serve hot with ketchup and enjoy!