Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe is perfect for seasoning 1 lb of ground beef, or the equivalent of 1 lb of vegetarian "ground beef" I prefer this to the packages the sell at the supermarkets which often contain too much sodium. This mixture is also nice mixed with 16 oz of sour cream to serve with tortilla chips, or to top a layered Mexican dip.
- 2 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, or to taste) or 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional, or to taste)
- 1 cup water
- Add spices and water to 1 lb browned ground beef, or to the 1 lb equivilant of your favorite frozen "meatless" ground burger.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until water is absorbed and bouilion cube is disolved.
- Serve over tortilla chips with cheese and salsa, or use as a filling for tacos, burritos, or enchilladas.
Fast, easy and wonderful. I skipped the cayenne pepper this time because I do not like very spicy food and wasn't sure on the heat of this. Will make often because it is easier than trying to find the taco seasonings and I like knowing what's in a package!!
I am so happy that I found this recipe! So many other "taco seasonings" are missing the mark, as they don't include all the good ingredients that are key. Thanks for posting! I made up a full batch (minus the water) and put it in a small jar for future use. I am going to use some in refried beans for some Mexican layer dip tomorrow night!
I used this with ground turkey breast & made soft tacos. I liked that this was lower in salt & found it wasn't missed at all! I also liked that it uses pantry staples. Thank you very much for sharing the recipe!