Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
These are a slice of country ham's bestfriend.
Top Review by Campbellssoupkid
These are great! I halved the recipe, and it made 19 cut with a 2 1/4 inch glass. I had in my freezer some sweet potato/carrot puree (used for sneaky chef recipes), so that was a great stand in. The kids love these, and they are way healthier than standard tea biscuits, with the buttermilk, sweet potatoes and butter instead of shortening. Served with roast lemon/oregano chicken, but most of them were gone as appetizers while we were waiting for the chicken to finish. Thanks for a perfect recipe! Will definitely make these again.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 3⁄4-1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 3 ingredients; cut in the butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Stir together the sweet potatoes and the buttermilk; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moist.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead 3 to 4 times. Pat or roll to ½-inch thickness.
- Cut the dough with a 3-inch cutter and place biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.