Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These buns are very sweet and delicious. This is a kid friendly recipe.
- 250 g plain flour
- 5 g yeast
- 25 g sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄8 cups warm water
- 1 egg (Beaten, Divided Use)
- 25 g butter, Softened
- 1⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- 1⁄4 cup mixed candied fruit
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix 1 minute. Next add water and half of the beaten egg. Mix. Add butter and mix until combined. Knead by hand until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. After that, punch the dough down and make 8 round balls and allow them to rise for 10 minutes .
- Now take out each ball and roll out with a rolling pin until you get a thin disk (diameter 3 inch, thickness 1/4 inch).
- Place some strawberry jam and sprinkle some candied mixed fruit on the top of the disk. Then wrap and cover the filling from all sides with the dough. Then, pinch the seams to close. Next shape the dough into a ball shape. Using sharp scissors, snip the top surface of the dough a bit to form petals to shape it like a flower (see photo).
- Place buns on a greased metal tray and allow them to rise for 20 minutes. Next brush the remaining beaten egg over the top of the buns.
- Bake at 200 C for 20 minutes or until golden brown.