Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
From about.com's recipes for kids with nut allergies, this can be easily halved or multiplied. Sunflower oil would work great but the recipe was posted with canola oil. (SERVING SIZE = 1 TABLESPOON)
- If you use raw sunflower seeds like I do, it's best to roast them first. I like roasting them in the oven on a dry cookie sheet at 400F for about 8-10 minutes, I tend to burn them on the stovetop. Let them cool for a few minutes.
- Put the roasted seeds with the oil and salt into a food processor or blender, and pulse at high speed until smooth. You may have to scrape the sides down occasionally.
- Add a little more oil if the mix is still not binding.
- If you want to add sweetener, a thick sweetener like honey, maple syrup, or brown rice syrup would work best, and add 1 teaspoon at a time. Using something granulated like sugar or Sun Crystals might require more oil.
- Store in the refridgerator, and if the oil separates, mix before using. Yields about 1 cup.