Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wonderful paste that enhances many preparations. Small jars of puree can cost quite a lot and pureeing small amounts yourself is not practical. Instead, purchase a large jar of sun-dried tomatoes and make a big batch. You can add a TBS or two of this to purchased spaghetti or pizza sauce, or smear it as it is on pizza crusts. It's also great on sandwiches, chicken and eggs. It also freezes well. I freeze mine on cookie sheets in dollops, then when frozen drop into a zip lock baggie. That way I can take out and use what I want, when I want.
- Put the tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- Add some very hot water to cover.
- Stir for a few minutes, then drain.
- (this softens the tomatoes and gets rid of some of the packing oil).
- In a food processor, combine the tomatoes, garlic, olive oil and seasonings.
- Puree until smooth.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Thank you for this recipe! Just what I was looking for when I didn't have any tomato paste or fresh tomatoes to make it. It worked like a charm and was quick and easy to do. The only change I would make is to use just a little less garlic next time, as I did find it a tiny bit overpowering. I also added a tsp of sugar just do to personal preference. I will be using this one often. Thank you!