1/3 Photos of Homemade Summer Sausage Aka Salami
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is as old as the hills. I've made it for the last 50 years and it was old when I got it. I thought it would be a good addition, so that young cooks can see how easy it is to make a basic sausage. You can play with it, add more spice or whatever. I do suggest trying it as written first. Just as good as what you can buy, but you know what is in there. I make a double recipe and then freeze it. It is really easy and quick to whip this up and costs a lot less than store bought. Prep time does not include sitting in the fridge for 24 hours.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together all ingredients in a nonmetal bowl. It is easier to mix the seasoning with the water, then incorporate the meat, using your hands to distribute all spices evenly (like making a meatloaf). A note, based on a review, do not over mix the meat or it will be tough. This is true about any kind of meat, work it just enough to get every thing incorporated.
- 2I use an ice cream bucket and place a lid on top.
- 3Refrigerate for 24 hours.
- 4Remove from bowl and roll into 4 rolls, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick.
- 5Wrap in aluminum foil with shiny side towards meat.
- 6Punch tiny holes along one side and place in a broiler pan with holes down to drain out liquid.
- 7Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
- 8Remove foil and rewrap in plastic wrap.
- 9Ready to use or freeze.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Summer Sausage Aka Salami
Serving Size: 1 (1152 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 491.9
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 154.2 mg
- Sodium 152.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 42.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
quick curing salt