Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
(Italian Meat Pie)
Make and share this Homemade Stromboli recipe from Food.com.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add salt, sugar and 1/2 of the flour, mix well.
- Add rest of flour, turn onto floured boa rd and knead until smooth.
- Place in buttered bowl.
- Cover and let rise 1 1/2 to 2 hours in warm place. Punch down, divide into 12 pieces for stromboli or shape into 2 loaves for bread.
- Bake bread 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Roll out each dough into a circle; place in center of each dough a few slices of ham, pepperoni, grated cheese and a little sauce. Fold in half and pinch edges well to seal.
- Brush with egg white mix.
- Place on greased sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400 degrees until lightly brown.
- May be reheated.
- Serve with extra tomato sauce to dip in.
This was delicious!! Dough also makes some mean sticky bun. Mmmm My grandsons & I used it today for stromboli and sticky buns. Was easy, some of the best I ever ate, and was aslo great dough for sticky buns.
This was AWESOME! It was pretty easy to make and definitely a hit. Perfect crispy on the outside, soft and warm on the inside. We will be making this one on a regular basis. Here's some adjustments I made...First, as I am not much of a meat eater, I nixed the pepperoni and ham and instead added diced green bell pepper and mushrooms. Second, I cut the recipe in half since there's only two of us. This was the perfect amount for dinner for two plus leftovers for lunch the next day. Finally, rather then the 6 individual ones I made one big one. I wasn't exactly sure how to do this until I found a website with very helpful videos showing how to roll, fill and bake a stromboli... http://www.expertvillage.com/video-series/785_italian-recipe-how-to-make-stromboli.htm
Wonderful recipe. Made it exactly as described. The breading had a wonderful taste. My family loved it. The only mistake I made was that I didn't roll out the bread thin enough.