Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am posting this for ZWT 2006. I have not made this and it is compliments of Recipe Trove. Servings and prep time is all a guess.
- 1 lb mozzarella curd
- mahleb (Middle Eastern spice, can be found at specialty food shops that sell middle eastern ingredients)
- black caraway seed
- Place cheese in a Teflon saucepan and add a dash of mahleb and salt and a sprinkling of black seeds.
- Heat on low until cheese is melted thoroughly.
- Remove from heat and drain water.
- Pick up hot cheese in a lump, and make a hole in the center to look like a doughnut.
- Stretch and turn the cheese to form a large loop.
- Double the strand of cheese, making two strands of cheese of even length.
- Repeat, stretching and looping; the more you stretch the stringier the cheese becomes.
- Repeat stretching several times.
- Twist ends in opposite directions and intertwine rope into a braid.
- Place one end through the loop of the other to lock it.
- Set cheese aside to dry thoroughly.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate or freeze.
- To serve, open braid, cut one loop and pull cheese apart into thin strands.
- Serve with pocket bread.