168 hrs 5 mins
Well, not exactly Rooster Sauce, but it is from The Sriracha Cookbook. If you want the real Rooster Sauce taste, don't bother going through the trouble. The real deal is manufactured in an industrial processing plant that probably can't be precisely replicated at home. Just go buy it. It's cheap, only about $2.99. Okay, so why make this? Because you can.
My Private Note
about 2 ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs red jalapeno chiles, stems removed and halved lengthwise (can sub red serranos)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar, plus more as needed
- water, as needed
- 1In the bowl of a food processor, combine the peppers, garlic, garlic powder, granulated sugar, salt and brown sugar. Pulse until a coarse puree forms. Transfer to a glass jar, seal, and store at room temperature for 7 days, stirring daily.
- 2After 1 week, pour the chile mixture into a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the vinegar and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Let the mixture cool, then puree in a food processor for 2 to 3 minutes, until a smooth, uniform paste forms. If the mixture is too thick to blend properly, adjust the consistency with a small amount of water.
- 3Pass the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer. Press on the solids with the back of a spoon to squeeze out every last bit of goodness. Adjust the seasoning and consistency of the final sauce, adding vinegar, water, salt, granulated sugar or garlic powder to suit your taste. Transfer to a glass jar, seal and store in refrigerator for up to 6 months.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Sriracha
Serving Size: 1 (998 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3509.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 35.9 g
- Protein 5.5 g