Prep 24 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Sambal Oelek is made with chilies and is very hot so start with 2 tablespoons and increase to up to 4 tablespoons. Plan ahead the sauce needs to chill for 24 hours before using.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste (use up to 4 tablespoons)
- 3 cups ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, celery, green pepper and garlic; saute until tender (about 5-6 minutes).
- Reduce the heat and stir in the brown sugar, stirring constantly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients (start with 1 tablespoon sambal adding in more to taste) mix to combine and simmer over low heat for a minumum of 2 hours.
- Season with more salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate 24 hours before using.