Recipe by gailanng
Lean and dense and freezable. From Tammy's recipes.
Top Review by PookeyLumLum
NOTE: We use this recipe to make VEGAN PEPPERONI out of SEMI-DEHYDRATED TOMATOES! We make the recipe as written without the Tender Quick as it's unnecessary since we're just using it on tomatoes. Sprinkle it on thinly-sliced tomatoes and put in a dehydrator at 105 F for 8-12 hours. The results are chewy, "meaty" and delicious! Dehydrating at 105 degrees assures all of the enzymes are still alive and wonderful! THANKS!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (85% lean or leaner)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon morton's tender quick curing salt (regular salt will turn the meat brown)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine seasonings and meat and mix thoroughly, using hands; cover and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.
- Form meat into two long logs or rolls. Place a rack (or pan/sheet with drainage) on a cookie sheet and put the logs onto rack. Bake at 200 degrees for 8 hours, rotating logs every 2 hours.
- Logs will be a bright pink when they are finished, and should be fairly dry and firm. Wipe off excess grease and allow meat to cool. Chill and then slice thinly. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage.