Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Lean and dense and freezable. From Tammy's recipes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (85% lean or leaner)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon morton's tender quick curing salt (regular salt will turn the meat brown)
- Combine seasonings and meat and mix thoroughly, using hands; cover and refrigerate for 48-72 hours.
- Form meat into two long logs or rolls. Place a rack (or pan/sheet with drainage) on a cookie sheet and put the logs onto rack. Bake at 200 degrees for 8 hours, rotating logs every 2 hours.
- Logs will be a bright pink when they are finished, and should be fairly dry and firm. Wipe off excess grease and allow meat to cool. Chill and then slice thinly. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage.