Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this on the net. My tomatoes aren't ready so haven't tried it yet... I think I would reduce the amount of vinegar though when I do.
- 8 quarts water
- 4 lbs homegrown tomatoes
- 1 bunch celery, finely chopped
- 8 green jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 head garlic, pressed
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients except the sugar.
- Bring to a boil, and cook at a steady boil for 2 hours.
- Remove from heat and strain through a relatively fine mesh, making sure to express all the liquid you can.
- Discard the pulp.
- Return the liquid to the pot, and refrigerate overnight.
- Skip off clear liquid in the AM and then boil until the liquid is reduced to roughly three quarts.
- Add four tablespoons of sugar.
- Remove from heat, stir, and let cool.