Prep 50 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can also use regular flour for this, but I got this from a friend and she uses freshly ground spelt berries for this. Spelt is lighter tasting than whole wheat and it's better for you than white. There's no shortening, so it's healthier, and no kneading.
- 1 1⁄2 cups spelt berries, ground in a mill or 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients well.
- Cover and let sit in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Divide into 8 equal parts and let sit, covered, another 20 minutes.
- Roll each ball out to a 6- or 7-inch circle shape. I've found it helps to flatten each ball with your hand. Then take the rolling pin and roll from the center outwards, back and forth a few times as you go around the circle. When it starts to get thinner, take your left hand (if you're right handed) and turn the tortilla a couple inches. Use your right hand to use the rolling pin (holding in the middle) and roll from the center outwards. Keep turning and rolling until it is paper thin.
- Preheat a skillet on medium high heat.
- Place a tortilla into the skillet and watch until bubbles form. This won't take long.
- After bubbles form, and the bottom is lightly brown (or there are darker spots), flip over, press down once or twice, and cook for about 30-45 seconds, or if smoke appears.
- Cook remaining tortillas, watching carefully, and place in a plastic bag, with wet paper towels in between them (or at least on top and bottom of stack) to keep them soft and moist.
- Refrigerate for later or remove the paper towels and freeze.
Love these!! My family loves taco night and since I can't have wheat or corn anymore I needed to find an alternative. These are perfect. I actually prefer them over the regular flour tortillas.
These are good but need more water or oil. They are too stiff if made as per directions. It is a consistency like pita bread not tortillas from the store. They taste good though
Never made tortillas before and these were awesome! Thanks so much