Very robust, hearty, and perfect to cook ahead of time in large batches and freeze for later use in the colder months when the fresh produce is not available. I use fresh home grown tomatos and peppers for this recipe
- 1 -2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped (I prefer more)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon pizza seasoning
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 8 -10 medium tomatoes
- 1 -2 banana pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 (5 ounce) can tomato paste (to thicken)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper (to taste)
- Place tomatos in large pot cover with water. Bring water to boil and boil approximatley 5 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and place in ice bath.
- In pot used to boil tomato's return it to the stove over medium heat add oil, both onions, garlic, peppers, Italian, Pizza and basil, and saute until onions and peppers are translucent.
- In the mean time peel the skin off the tomatos, and cut into 4's removing the top stem area. Place tomatos in food processor and blend. Pour tomato puree into pot with other ingrediants stir, reduce heat to a slow simmer. Add tomato paste, stir.
- Let pot simmer for approximately 2 hours stirring occasionaly.
- Enjoy it with spaghetti noodles or use with lasagna.