Prep 35 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Typical tomato-based spaghetti sauce, but it is sooo much better than prepared sauce, still very easy to make. The meatballs are the only time-consuming part and they need to simmer in the sauce all day to be exceptional. This recipe was given to me 10 years ago by my mother
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 3 slices of slightly stale bread, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon of basil salt (dried)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients for meatballs, shape into walnut-sized balls and place on oil-sprayed baking sheet.
- Bake 30 min (turning halfway).
- While meatballs are baking saute' onion and garlic in oil until transparent about four minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients into either a crockpot (if simmering all day, recommended)or a stockpot, along with sauteed' mixture.
- Once meatballs are done ensure the grease is drained and discarded, then add the Meatballs.
- Once ready to serve prepare with your favorite pasta, however thin or standard spaghetti is the best noodle.
this is so good! Only replaced the water with milk. Will definitely be a regular and will make more meatballs and freeze for some other recipes as well. Thanks.
This is all good! But I always like to use fresh ingredients. And the best tip I can give - put the raw meat balls right into the sauce. It took an hour to simmer the sauce and cook the meatballs but the meatballs are so tender and juicy
We enjoyed this recipe. It really was pretty easy to make ~ just be prepared for the long cooking time. The meatballs were very tasty and we used the leftovers in meatball subs. Thanks for posting!