Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A heart warming home made soup for those cold winter days.
- 1 large turnip
- 8 good quality potatoes
- 6 medium sized carrots
- 3 parsnips
- 3 large leeks
- 1 large white onion
- 16 slices unsmoked bacon
- 300 g yellow split peas
- 4 liters ham stock
- salt and pepper
- Put your yellow split peas in a large soup pan and add a litre of the stock.
- Wash, peel and chop all your vegetables and add to the pan.
- Remove all the rind from your bacon and slice into strips; add to the pan.
- Add the rest of your stock and simmer for 2-4 hours stirring occasionally.
- When all veggies are soft and the soup has thickened, you are ready to serve.