Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I received this recipe in my e-mail from a friend that belongs to another site also. These are mildly smoked and not salty at all in spite of the amount of sodium in the recipe. Very easy to make even easier to enjoy! Servings are 1/4 cup.
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 3 cups whole unblanched almonds, toasted and cooled
- In a bowl, whisk egg white until foamy.
- Add garlic powder, celery salt, salt and liquid smoke; stir until blended.
- Add almonds and stir until well coated.
- Evenly spread almonds in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
To make for 1 cup of almonds: 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp seasoning salt (I was out of celery salt), 1 Tbsp of liquid smoke. These are very smokey; they are wonderful! I'm going to try a Cajun seasoning next time. I originally tried making them with the required amount of liquid smoke, but they weren't smokey enough for me. I will definitely be making these again.
Wow, what a fantastic way to spark up (I used blanched) almonds! I'll be trying them with blanched peanuts next. I only made one cup (in case they didn't work out for me) and upped the smoke factor by using Saltistry's "smoked salish" which is absolutely heavenly. Well, I got about 3 almonds for myself in the end and they were awesome, but then I told my becoming-more-health-conscious husband that almonds contain the "good fat". He obviously translated that into "EAT THESE ALL, PLEASE" because he polished off the remainder of the cup! He's in the dog house now for finishing all the almonds in one sitting, albeit the carpeted dog house with one wool army blanket and a rolled up tube sock for a pillow. I mean, it's not like he did something THAT bad. I reserve the *OTHER* dog house for when he really ticks me off. (NYA-HA-HAAAA!) Anyway, I certainly was able to sample enough of them to have an opinion and it's GOOD! My husband gives his rating silently with an empty bowl in apologetic hands. So.... translation for this review: FANTASTIC! Thank you, KCCOOK, for a keeper. Just need to pick up ziplocs that truly LOCK now. ;o)