Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Homemade Sloppy Joes
Make and share this Homemade Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 -2 1⁄4 lbs ground beef (I like to use Chuck)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 large sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish (more if desired to suit your taste)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans campbell's tomato soup (Condensed)
- 1⁄8 cup barbecue sauce (I use Original Open Pit)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- cheese (I like provolone)
- Brown ground beef, salt and pepper to taste. Drain and set aside. (Reserve approximately 1 teaspoons grease).
- Saute onions in same pan with approximately 1 teaspoons grease (from the ground beef) until golden brown. Add garlic and saute an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Place cooked meat back into pan with onions and garlic. Add tomato soup and bbq sauce. Mix well. Add sweet relish (to suit your taste). Mix and taste test, if needed add more salt and pepper.
- Place sloppy joe mix on your favorite kind of bun (toasted or not) and add your favorite kind of cheese (optional) like provolone, american, swiss, colby, etc -- and enjoy.
- We serve this with spicy steak fries, cottage cheese, pickles, potato or macaroni salad or cole slaw. This is a great alternative from the canned S.J. mix.