Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Desperate for sloppy joes but knowing I can't use canned anything, I threw this together for my husband who has, literally, no sense of taste and no sense of smell. His life revolves around mouthfeel and memory rather than smell and taste. Well, I am quite the opposite - I can taste everything because I have lupus and sarcoidosis. It MUST taste similar. CANNED foods are downright bad for your health. BPA (and OTHER BPs that aren't even regulated) are STILL TO THIS DAY lining cans. The TANG you taste in everything canned is the liner. Not one of these ingredients came from a CAN. Petroleum is the main constituent of 99% of all canned goods. I eat it al la naturale it plain, it has most if not all of the taste that the canned does without the petroleum liner (!) - Only Eden Foods and a few local intrepid canners aren't lining cans with petroleum - ask them. Soda to chili, tomato sauce to tuna - get away from CANS! DEMAND GLASS or better!
- 2 lbs lean hamburger
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup organic spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup Heinz ketchup with balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -4 teaspoon barbecue sauce
- Brown and crush hamburger on medium heat - I use a whisk to crush meat as it cooks - no big chunks.
- Mix all other ingredients - set aside until the hamburger is done.
- Remove pan from heat and drain hamburger with stainless steel (no plastic!) strainer.
- Return hamburger to pan.
- Add mixed sauce.
- Heat for 5-7 min on simmer.
- Serve on rolls, over bread, on hamburger buns.
- This recipe is only limited by your taste, you can add onions, mushrooms, peas, legumes, zuchinni, other veggies, only limited by your imagination and doubling your sauce if needed.