Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wonderful chilli sauce/dip which goes well with pretty much ANYTHING. This makes 1 jar, which can be kept in the fridge for up to 1 week. Great as a gift for someone mad about chilli.
- 120 g red chilies
- 60 g shallots or 60 g onions, peeled
- 60 g garlic, peeled
- 60 g fresh young ginger
- 12 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling chicken stock
- Grind chillies, shallots, garlic and ginger till semi-fine.
- Put paste into a bowl and add boiling chicken stock.
- Stir well before adding lemon juice, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Leave it for at least 1 hour to pickle before serving.
This has a wonderful flavour. Spicy. tart... I loved it. Used it on some rice, as a dipping sauce, on salad. Very versatile. Thanks!
This chilli sauce is great, it has a wonderful flavor. I wasn't able to find young ginger so I substituted fresh ginger instead. I used VERY hot peppers, the sauce was delicious but EXTREMELY spicy. Next time I'll reduce the amount of hot peppers and add some milder ones. KitchenManiac, thanks for posting this recipe!
Fantastic and spicy - loved it. I had to wait to make this until I could find fresh red Thai chiles and Young ginger at my Asian market. Much better than you can buy in a jar. Made exactly as directed. You could use milder chiles, but what's the fun of that.