Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
You don't need a box! Can be doubled. I have also substituted low fat milk and half and half. Feel free to experiment with milk substitutes if you like. The corn starch really "sets" this pudding.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (like Droste)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, stir together granulated sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt Slowly pour in 1 ½ cups milk, stirring or whisking to create a lump-free mixture Stir in 1 cup heavy cream.
- Place saucepan over medium heat and, stirring gently and continuously scraping bottom and sides of pan, bring mixture to a boil (boil 1 minute) Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Pour pudding into stemmed glasses or custard cups or other container.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
Delicious! Very rich and creamy, even though I made it with 2 1/2 cups of whole milk and left out the cream. I only used 2/3 cup sugar as well. I put it into little 1/2 cup containers for my kids' lunch. Now that's a snack pack :)
Good, deep chocolate flavor, but it was too thick for my taste....maybe a little less cornstarch needed. I WOULD NOT MAKE THIS AGAIN.
Very nice! First time making pudding homemade and it was delicious. Instead of the vanilla, I used Bailey's, 'cause it was on hand and I want to get rid of it. Next time I will use the vanilla. Thanks for posting.