1/9 Photos of Homemade Seitan Barbecue (Bbq) Ribs - Vegan
This is an original recipe by Susan V from fatfreevegan.com. It's so easy to make and incredibly yummy! You can buy Vital Wheat Gluten at most grocery stores (look for Bob's Red Mill). I did not have nutritional yeast so I omitted this ingredient with no lack of taste. These were "grilled" on a griddle and it worked out great. My meat eater hubby loved it as did the kids. Check out http://everydaydish.tv/cookingshow_video.html for a video on how to make this. (it's under Susan's Ribz).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with canola oil.
- 2Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a large bowl. Mix the water with the nut butter, Liquid Smoke, and soy sauce and add it to the dry ingredients. Stir to mix well in the bowl for a couple of minutes.
- 3Put the dough into the baking dish and flatten it so that it evenly fills the pan. Take a sharp knife and cut it into 8 strips; then turn the pan and cut those strips in half to form 16 pieces.
- 4Put it in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. While it's cooking prepare your grill pan or grill.
- 5Remove it from the oven and carefully re-cut each strip, going over each cut to make sure that the ribz will pull apart easily later. Generously brush the top with barbecue sauce. Take it to the grill pan or grill and invert the whole baking dish onto the grill (or use a large spatula to lift the seitan out, placing it sauce-side down on the grill). Brush the top of the seitan with more sauce.
- 6Watch it closely to make sure that it doesn't burn. When sufficiently brown on one side, turn over and cook the other side, adding more sauce, if necessary. When done, remove to a platter and cut or pull apart the individual ribs to serve.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Seitan Barbecue (Bbq) Ribs - Vegan
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.7
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1574.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 33.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten