Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This amount is just right to mix with 2 pounds of ground pork. I use one pound of regular ground pork and one pound of Extra Lean ground pork. This reduces the fat but keeps the flavor. Author: Queen Of The Red Doublewide (with some modifications)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rubbed sage leaves (or 1 teaspoon ground sage)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed (or you can use anise. Skip this if you don't care for that "licorice" flavor.) (optional)
- Stir the spices together and mix into 2 pounds of ground pork. You can cook it right away but it tastes better if you refrigerate it for 3 to 24 hours to let the flavors blend together.
- Notes: I form the loaf into a roll, and freeze for a few hours just before cooking so I can slice it easily for cooking. You can also form in into patties and layer them with pieces of wax paper, then seal in a plastic bag for freezing. Then you can just take out individual servings. Try adding red pepper flakes for a spicier sausage, or maple syrup for a maple sausage.