1 hr 25 mins
An excellent make-ahead for parties -- or even weekend lunches, served with a green salad. Add lots of cayenne or even hot pepper flakes if your tastes run more towards a spicier version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb minced lean pork
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1In a large bowl, mix together pork, parsley, salt, pepper, fennel, nutmeg and cayenne to taste.
- 2In small saucepan, melt butter and cook onion until softened and translucent; add to pork mixture and stir well.
- 3Cut pastry into 2 portions; roll 1 portion into 18x6-inch rectangle.
- 4Shape handful of pork mixture into sausage shape about 1 inch in diameter; place along long edge of pastry.
- 5Continue to shape pork mixture until long edge of pastry is filled with half the pork mixture.
- 6Roll up jellyroll style.
- 7Dampen edge of pastry and seal.
- 8Place roll, seam side down, on tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- 9With sharp knife, cut roll into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
- 10Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- 11Preheat oven to 450F (230C).
- 12Place rolls seam-side-down on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 13Beat together egg yolk and water and brush over tops of rolls.
- 14Bake at 450F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F (190C) and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until golden.
- 15Let cool, then freeze rolls in single layer on baking sheet; package in airtight containers and store in freezer.
- 16Do NOT thaw before reheating.
- 17To reheat, bake frozen sausage rolls in single layer on baking sheet at 425F (220C) for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Sausage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1026 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.1
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.2 mg
- Sodium 152.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 5.4 g