1/5 Photos of Homemade Sausage Kolaches
2 hrs 12 mins
These are mouthwatering. Make plenty for a weekend breakfast. It's worth the effort! They freeze well, too, and can be heated in the oven at 350 for about 12 - 14 minutes, or in the microwave for a few seconds if thawed (about 1 1/2 minutes if frozen). Very convenient for a grab and go breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, combine the yeast with the water.
- 2Set aside.
- 3In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, and 1/4 cup sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- 4Mix in the egg yolks, milk, and salt, combining well.
- 5Stir in the dissolved yeast and the flour, and mix until the ingredients are thoroughly blended into a soft dough.
- 6Cover the dough with a towel, and set the dough aside to rise to about double in size, approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Grease a baking sheet.
- 8Pinch off pieces of dough about the size of a golf ball, flatten the balls slightly, and transfer them to the baking sheet.
- 9Place the balls at least 1 inch apart, and brush them liberally with the melted butter.
- 10Set them aside to double in size again, about 45 minutes to one hour.
- 11Gently indent the top of the dough with your thumb, fairly deep.
- 12Place the little pinky size smoked sausage link (could be a spicy sausage link, or could add cheese and/or jalapeno with the sausage link, too) in the indent and fold the kolache over the sausage and seal.
- 13Bake in 425 oven for 10- 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- 14Immediately brush butter on the top.
- 15They are best eaten as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Sausage Kolaches
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.9
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 603.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 10.3 g