Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I was raised on store bought kraut. Once I tried this, I was "hooked". This is by far better than ANY store bought Kraut
- Heat all of the above ingredients except cabbage.
- Shred cabbage (a cake pan full at a time), pack cabbage in jars as tight as you can.
- Pour hot liquid over making sure to"burp" out any air bubbles.
- Wipe rim of jar and put lid on.
- Keep out of direct sunlight and preferably in garage, it will take 1 1/2-2 months to ferment.
Very good flavor! My family really enjoyed this with a pork roast and mashed potatoes.
I always make ths sauerkraut and is fantastic!! Other than being messy to make it is very easy. I usually make about 15 quarts and it keeps forever! I just used a quart I found that is at least 3 yrs old. Rinse it well before cooking and I usually fry mine up with diced bacon and onions sauted in a fry pan. We love it!!
I made 12 quarts last year and 40 this year. Hope the ones this year are as good as the ones I made last year. This is a great recipe. A.Wood