2 hrs 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Found this on on line awhile ago, made some adjustments for heat and chunkiness. I love this recipe because it cans well and the longer it sits, the hotter it gets. You can chill before serving if you want, but it's great right out of the pantry. Makes a great gift.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 7 lbs tomatoes (about 20, Hothouse work well,but combination of hothouse and Romas are my standard.)
- 6 anaheim chilies, diced
- 4 poblano chiles, diced
- 5 jalapeno chiles, diced
- 3 serrano chilies, diced
- 2 cups rough chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (5 % acidity)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1**Weargloves or cut chiles under cold running water, leave the seeds if you want, chile pepper heat comes from a vein in the flesh of the chile not the seeds.
- 2Peel, seed and chop tomatoes.
- 3I leave the tomatoes in large chunks for a chunkier salsa.
- 4You can plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for about 30 seconds then run under cold water to make peeling easier.
- 5Place chopped tomatoes into a colander to drain for 30 minutes.
- 6You will want about 14 cups of chopped tomatoes.
- 7Chop chiles.
- 8Remove seeds.
- 9You want about 4 cups total chopped peppers.
- 10Set aside.
- 11Chop onions, mince garlic and chop cilantro.
- 12Place tomatoes into an 8 quart Dutch oven or a large sauce pan.
- 13Bring to a boil.
- 14Boil 30-45 minutes or until desired consistency.
- 15I boil for 20 minutes, we like chunky.
- 16Add peppers, cilantro, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar.
- 17Return to a boil.
- 18Fill hot sterile jars 1/2 inch from top.
- 19Wipe rim off with clean towel, place lid and screw band on and tighten to finger tight.
- 20Set each jar into water bath canner right after filling.
- 21Bring water bath canner back to boil and bath for 35 minutes.
- 22Remove jars and cool on a wire rack or towels.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Salsa for canning
Serving Size: 1 (4208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.4
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 318.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 5.3 g