Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
For some extremely peculiar reason, there is no root beer available where I live, but there is McCormick's root beer concentrate. I scoured the world to find a recipe and here it is. It's not exactly A&W, but as close as you can get to the real thing, if you can't get the real thing.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 quart cold seltzer water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon root beer concentrate (McCormick is what I use)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon root beer concentrate (yes, more of this stuff)
- Dissolve the sugar in the hot water.
- Add the 1/2 and the 1/8 teaspoon of root beer concentrate and let it cool.
- Combine the cold root beer mixture with the seltzer water.
- Pour into a glass, make a pretend mug handle with your thumb and pinky, and drink.
It's not quite root beer but it's a good subsitute for the real thing when you can't get the real thing. I used Shank's birch beer concentrate which is similar to root beer.