Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 hrs
It's so easy to make you will wonder why you ever bought it. Not to mention it tastes great, you can have whatever level of fat you want ie: 1% etc... And it can be organic!
- This will make 1 cup of cheese if you want or need more simply double or triple it or you get the point. 6 liters of milk to 3/4 cup vinegar makes 2.5 pounds of cheese --
- Heat milk over medium heat stirring so milk does not burn, until it reaches 180' f. Remove milk from heat and stir in vinegar.
- The milk will curdle, cover pot with double layer of cheese cloth and let sit overnight unrefrigerated.
- In the morning line a colander with double layer of cheese cloth and pour the curds inside.
- Let it drain freely for about 30 minutes, then make a package out of the cheese cloth, twist it and squeeze out the liquid until in runs milky.
- Turn cheese out into a bowl, season to taste and use as you will.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
I've been making cheese like this for a while. It is so simple and tastes better than store bought.